Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Ocean*

''There is a seashell in me...polished smooth by the sand...gleaming in the sunlight...beautiful and interesting...admired by many people...
Like a seashell, I am empty inside.
There is a flounder in me...always trying to fit it...blending in with the background...never standing out...always changing colours...afraid of being seen...
Like a flounder, I make myself invisible.
There is a sponge in me...stationary and immobile...stuck in one place...watching other fish live their lives...absorbing everything that swims in its way...
Like a sponge, I am frustrated by my powerlessness.
There is a dolphin in me...childishly playful...cleaver and bright...kind and good natured...strong but gentle...
Like a dolphin, I befriend all that know me.
There is a shark in me...fearlessly bold...ruthlessly vicious...threatening and intimidating...insensitive and unfeeling...attacking anyone who swims too close...
Like a shark, I only think about my own survival.
I am an ocean, deep, and sometimes dark, full of life and sunken treasure, hiding beneath a surface of blue-green waves.'' *

*A poem by a young girl suffering from anorexia nervosa, written at the age of 13
Biting the hand that starves you

No comments:

Post a Comment